Monday, June 4, 2012

Dancing formulae

Yesterday, while doing MCAT prep at my school library, I got a text informing me that I was to attend a "concert in the park" with fireworks afterwards.  Although I really wanted to take advantage of not being surrounded by a pack of wild animals (my kids), and instead focus on my content review, I acquiesced.  We saw the Old 97's and some cool fireworks.  It was also the twins first concert.  All in all, I'm glad I went. The music gave the formulae in my brain some rhythm with which to dance.

This schedule that I'm trying to follow is really intense.  I mean crazy intense.  I don't know why I have to do everything the hard way.  It would be sooooo much easier for me to take the three months and prepare for this exam like a normal person.  Instead, I want to push myself to the breaking point and beyond by trying to do all of this in double speed.  My initial thought process was that I have taken all the prerequisites within a very short period of time, so everything should be fresh; content review should be at a minimum.  Additionally, I wanted to be able to apply as soon as possible to theoretically increase my chances of acceptance.  Though I may have bitten off more than I can chew by attempting this.  If I had it to do over again, I would definitely take it a little more slowly.  Oh well... back to physics...

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! Awesome story! I was in your exact situation (two kids instead of five though) and sped through my pre reQs and did the double speed schedule that you're on. Honestly, in the end, I had to retake the mcat again because I wasn't fully prepared to take the test. It really isn't just about content, rather about content + strategy. The strategy portion requires three months to master, in my opinion. I know you are super capable, but at our age, one more year isn't going to kill us. Take your time and give every part of your journey its right. Best of luck! You're an inspiration to many :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I know the odds are stacked against me for getting a great score, but I feel I have to try anyway. I'm sure you understand that because you did it. If I have to retake it, so be it. But I'm going to give it the good old college try anyway. I hope things are going well for you after your retake. If you are applying this cycle, good luck!!

      Delete