Monday, July 2, 2012

Am I an Idiot?

I have been humbled.  After all this hard work and studying, I received a much lower score on my practice MCAT than I thought possible.  For those interested, I got a 25.  The breakdown was 8,9,8.  This is so disappointing.  I am completely devastated.  I feel like I have wasted a ton of time and money.  Has this all been in vain?  I contemplated not even writing this update because I am so ashamed of myself.  But I suppose I need to be honest about everything, both good and bad.  So there it is.

I've come to grips now with the fact that I'm not going to score in the mid-thirties as I had hoped.  But c'mon!  I'm a smart guy, or so I'd like to think.  I guess this is something else entirely.  I just expected a better score considering the number of hours I've put into studying.  I am in the process of reviewing what I missed.  Hopefully by extensively reviewing everything, I will see some improvement.  Realistically, from the trends I have seen from others, this is more or less where I will end up.

I've got to figure out a way to increase this score at least a little to have any sort of a chance...  Beer may be in order for this evening...

4 comments:

  1. Hi. I just read your last post. Before i say what i think about it I am from SDN.

    Back to the post, 25 may seem horrible for you but youre only 5 pts away from a 30 which i guess is the minimum for MD. Im sure you can get more than a 30. I got a C+ in my chemistry class last semester and last month i studied chemistry on my own and learned things that i did not learn the whole semester. So what im trying to say is that if you really want it GO GET IT! Good luck. Im also starting a blog, its fairly new... denisesjourneytomedschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support. i really appreciate it. I also do not discriminate - it's okay that you're from SDN. I won't hold that against you! :P Good job on your studying. It's great to feel like you have a solid foundation of the basics.

      I'm frustrated because I did very well in my prerequisite classes. I have studied hard for this exam. Yet in my first try at a practice exam, all this hard work didn't show. I'm hoping that will change here shortly. I will also check out your blog. Good luck to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi! While you didn't get the score that you wanted you are still able to learn from the experience. You know what the exam and the exam environment is like. Personally, I don't think the MCAT is a measure of one's intelligence completely either. People have definitely improved their score by 5 points before. So your dream score is attainable. You'll just need to reassess you areas of weakness and be more strict with timing perhaps. KAPLAN or some other study resources may also be of some help, if you can afford them.

    Good luck and continue to pursue your dream for as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I'm not giving up. I just need to make sure I don't miss easy questions like I did in the practice exam. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete