Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Homeostasis


The maintenance of equilibrium within a social group, person, etc. - Dictionary.com


October brought so much joy and pain. It always seems to equal out doesn't it? The good: There were three birthdays in a four day period. Hectic yes. But joyful nevertheless. My father splurged and got two of the kids kindles for their birthdays. Extravagant, but appreciated by myself as well as the kids. Halloween brings another joyful occasion. Watching the kids light up when trick or treating is something to behold. Watching them freak out when they pass that scary house that's all done up, with torturous screams emanating from within, and monsters laying in wait behind a bush (everyone knows of a house like this, and if you don't, you should). As an aside, this year we had an alien, Darth Vader, a dead hippie, and Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum (random people started taking pictures of these two goofball twins!)


As for joyfulness with school, I found out I got a B on my last organic chemistry test. Normally I would be slightly disappointed by this considering the amount of time I've put into this class, but since I had a ridiculous run of tests in a row, and considering the catastrophic feeling in the pit of my stomach upon exiting the examination room, and all week while waiting for the results, a B is extraordinary! Whew.

To balance, I found out I got a D on my physics midterm. Wow. Crushing. Admittedly I did not put forth the required time it takes to perform well. Physics is hard for me. It takes me a long time to fully grasp a given concept. I don't know why, but it does. Physics has humbled me to my core. Because I do not enjoy the subject, I do not want to study it. Because I am doing poorly, I do not want to study it. Yet I must. Fortunately I am still getting a B in the class, and the professor said he would substitute the Final Exam grade with the midterm, so there is still hope for an A actually. That seems a little weird but I will take it. I just really need to buckle down with it... but it really sucks. Did I mention that?

In addition, I know I did poorly on my last statistics exam. Again, because of time requirements of other subjects, I did not prepare properly. I think I did alright, but I will find out Saturday. I actually understand the subject, find it to be fairly easy, and love my professor whom I can only describe as "Mr. Miyagi." He is hilarious in his own weird, old man way. Because I can do the work relatively easily, I do not put much effort into it, as other classes require so much of me. I really hope this does not cost me in the end, for each grade is important.

Why can't it ALL be good news? Homeostasis sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment